Saleema A. Karim, PhD
PhD Health Services Research (Financial Management Minor), UNC at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
MHA, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
MBA, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
BSc Kin, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
BSc Bioc, UBC, Vancouver, British Columbia
Dr. Saleema Karim is an Associate Professor in the Department of Health Administration, College of Health Professions. She has taught classes that focus on operations management and healthcare financial management to MHA and MBA students. Her research focuses on hospital financial sustainability, disparities, geographic variation and HVBP and HRRP reimbursement.
Prior to joining VCU, Dr. Karim was a faculty member in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. She completed her PhD at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a focus on healthcare financial management. Her dissertation focused on the relationship of the Magnet Recognition designation on hospital financial performance.
- Drolshagen, H.*, Jensen, H., Sexton, K., Kalkwarf, K., Bhavaraju, A., Karim, S., & Reif, R*. Surgical and Non-surgical treatment of Inguinal Hernia during non-elective admissions in the Nationwide Readmissions Database. Accepted to Hernia (June 2021).
- Hill, S. E. M.*, Jensen, H. K., Reif, R.*, Karim, S. A., Sexton, K. W., Kalkwarf, K. J., Giorgakis, E., & Burdine, L. (2021). National Readmissions Database Characterization of Post-Cholecystectomy Care for Inpatients: Readmissions and Bile Duct Repair. The American Journal of Surgery. https://doi.org/10.
- Chen, H. & Karim, S. A. (2021). Relationship between Political Partisanship and COVID-19 Deaths: Future Implications for Public Health. Journal of Public Health. https://doi.org/10.
- Karim, S. A. & Chen, H. (2020). Deaths from COVID-19 in rural, micropolitan and metropolitan areas: A county-level comparison. The Journal of Rural Health. https://doi.org/10.
- Karim, S. A.,Nevola, A.*, Morris, M. E., Tilford, J. M., & Chen, H. (2020). Financial performance of hospitals in the Appalachian Region under the Hospital Readmission Reduction and Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program. The Journal of Rural Health. https://doi.org/10.